Beskrivelse

Oversat af

38 ST DELAR BESTICK STÄMPLEN EPNS EXTRA PRIMA NYSILVER
ÄKTA PÄRLEMOR HANDTAG

JOHN SANDERSON & SON (1929) LTD

Jon William Sanderson (1861-1955) was born at Hackenthorpe, Derbyshire, the son of Charles (a ‘silver cutler’) and his wife, Patty. He followed his father’s trade. In the Census (1891), he was enumerated as a ‘manager (cutlery)’, but a year later apparently started his own business. His first venture as a silver cutlery and electro-plate manufacturer may have been alongside John Norton Roe. Sanderson & Roe was based at 34 & 36 Holly Street, but the partnership was dissolved by the mid-1890s. John William continued to trade at the same address, until about 1905 when he moved to Argyle Works, Canning Street. It seems that the business became John Sanderson & Son at about the start of the First World War. In 1916, it was listed at Trafalgar Street, which was a street adjacent to Canning Street. John Sanderson had retired by the 1920s. He was elected to Ecclesall Board of Guardians in 1922 and was also closely involved with church work at St George’s (Sheffield Daily Telegraph, 21 March 1925). He lived at 555 Crookesmoor Road, Gleadless, and died at his residence on 20 January 1954, aged 92, leaving £15,449.

The ‘successor’ company was John Sanderson & Son Ltd, which was registered in 1920, with £7,000 capital. It traded at Argyle Works, Westfield Terrace. The directors were Hugh Dobson Cass (1870-1945), Alfred Ernest Shaw, and Stanley Neill. Cass had been a silver cutlery manager (possibly for Sanderson’s); Shaw was a tobacconist; and Neill was an electro-plate manager. The firm's silver-plated fish eaters, spoons, and forks did not sell well and in April 1929 the company was wound up. In that year, though, it was re-registered as John Sanderson & Son (1929) Ltd. Capital was £200; the address was 57 Trafalgar Street and the directors were Samuel Lawton and Samuel M. Inman, who operated Harrison Fisher & Co.

Sanderson’s was sufficiently well-known for Harrison Fisher to use it as a stand-alone name. The firm had a silver stamp, ‘J S & S’, and other marks: ‘ARGYLE PLATE’, ‘WESTFIELD PLATE’, ‘NEW APPROACH’, ‘NEW IMAGE’, AND ‘SILVER FORGED AND TEMPERED LIKE STEEL’. In the early 1950s, the Sanderson brand appeared on steak knives and forks, and table knives, many of which were exported to Canada. Charles Melville Cass (1903-1983) – Hugh D. Cass’s son – remained associated with the company and was an accomplished cutlery designer. The sketches for his ‘New Approach’ range of table knives in stainless steel and black nylon (intended to resist the harsh effects of dishwashing machines) are held by the Victoria & Albert Museum. Commemorative silver teaspoon sets were another of his ideas (Quality, November/December 1979). The last address of Argyle Works was Eye Witness Works, Milton Street, before Sanderson’s liquidation in 1997.

Varenr. 637 419 796

Visninger 167

Publiceret

AnmeldSælg lignende

Mere fra sælgeren

Andre har også set på

Sammenlign slutpriser

Hvor meget er det værd?

Andre kan også lide

Søn. 14 juli 14:05

38 ST DELAR BESTICK STÄMPLEN EPNS EXTRA PRIMA NYSILVER ?ÄKTA PÄRLEMOR HANDTAG

Udbudspris

|0 Bud

1 500 SEK

Auktionen blev afsluttet uden budgivning

kliopatra11

uppsala, Sverige

4.9

Verificeret

Topsælger

1 263 anmeldelser